Sunday, December 11, 2011

Journal 2: 1984 I Guess

I like how 1984 starts because it doesn't make an effort to be within the realm of possibility. It's pretty hilarious to me how obnoxiously Orwell portrays his world, using names like "Two Minutes Hate" and slogans like "War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength." I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing it, though - as ridiculous as some of those things are (I don't think the world would ever be in a position anywhere near as oppressed as 1984's is), it's certainly an interesting thing to consider what it would be like if it was. It's exaggeration for the purpose of satire, and it's pretty awesome.

Most people like to use 1984 as an example of literature that in some way predicted the 21st century, and while I can definitely see why, I'm not entirely sure if that's the frame of mind I want to be in while reading it. Obviously it'll impossible for me to not imagine telescreens as televisions or the propaganda on them as being similar to today's news media, but whether or not Orwell predicted these things is irrelevant to me. I think I'm going to be more interested in how the characters act.

The first chapter already has me hooked, so I guess I'll have to keep reading to see where it goes!

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to spoil the book for you if you have finished it yet, but it is an awesome book! It does tend to get slow in some parts, but when when you finish you will look back and love it! Also, don't bother watching the movie because it was really boring and I did not find it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tyler. This book was seriously awesome. Its one of the few books that I actually was sad to have finished. The movie is pretty good too, but it can be a little drab. I'm in full agreement with you in that, thinking about the 21st century while reading this book is the wrong way to go. Sure, there are a lot of similarities, and to a point that's pretty coll. However, I'd much rather just enjoy the book then to point out all of the commonalities between its and our world.

    ReplyDelete